For all you architecture and history lovers out there, mark your calendars for this Sunday, April 25 for the 21st Annual Bungalow Heaven Home Tour, which is a self-guided walking tour of various homes within Bungalow Heaven.
One of the proudest moments for the historic Pasadena neighborhood came last year when the APA (American Planning Association) named Bungalow Heaven one of the Top 10 Neighborhoods in America.
You don’t want to miss it!
Here are a few more details provided by the Publicity Director of Bungalow Heaven, Sarah Hilbert:
- We’ll have eight homes, open inside and out to tour-goers. Each home has several docents, who provide commentary and answer visitors’ questions.
- Five of the eight homes are what we call Revival Style, meaning they were built slightly later than the typical Craftsman bungalows and are great fun to tour because they show how the Arts & Crafts philosophy was interpreted by architects during the late 1910s and into the 1920s.
- Our Living History Home – the one with costumed actors (Kristin Stone among them) who follow a script, will take place inside a 1926 Spanish Revival home. The actors will offer visitors a “slice of life” history lesson about the Roaring Twenties.
- Three homes will be our typical “high-style, amazing woodwork” bungalows.
- Many great demonstrators/exhibitors will be on hand, including our friends from Pasadena Architectural Salvage and Mission Tile West.
- The collective neighborhood “cookie fest” results in dozens and dozens of free cookies handed out during the Tour. Families from across the neighborhood get to baking in the days leading up to the Tour and donate their goodies; on the day of the Tour, residents staff booths along the blocks and hand out free lemonade and cookies. Yum!
- Gardens will be at their spring peak — our tour-goers always report that they love seeing the gardens just as much as the amazing architecture!