downtown los angeles, financial district

City Target Now Open at FIGat7th in Downtown LA

City Target Now Open in Downtown LA

The new 104,000 square foot City Target soft opened to the public yesterday at the new FIGat7th in Downtown LA

Last Friday, we got a sneak peek of City Target before it opened to the public as well as finding out more about the exciting eateries (like Sprinkles Cupcakes and The Melt from San Francisco) coming to the remodeled FIGat7th shopping center located in the Downtown LA Financial District. Although the official grand opening is still taking place this Sunday, October 14, 2012, City Target is now open to the public in a soft opening status.

Because the soft opening happened pretty quietly, many downtown office workers and a few residents and convention center visitors only found out about the opening by walking by. However, within a few hours, word had spread and a steady stream of people made their way to the new City Target until the store closed at 9pm (hopefully it’ll stay open later until 11pm like some of their other stores).

The new design of FIGat7th, with the grand staircase from Figueroa, worked marvelously as intended with pedestrians entering the shopping center effortlessly from the sidewalk. I saw quite a few people who walked by, saw that people were entering City Target, changed their own trajectory, and walked down into the store.

Wandering through the aisles at the new 104,000 square foot City Target in Downtown LA was a bit of a surreal experience for me. Especially if you’ve seen and experienced the “before downtown” of only a few years ago when it was devoid of life and amenities. As a result of having lived here before Ralphs Fresh Fare and LA Live, I take nothing coming to Downtown LA for granted. With more goodies to come at FIGat7th, this will really be the start of more retailers taking notice of Downtown LA.

We are supposed to find out what other new stores will be coming to FIGat7th later this year. However, based on the info I gathered, my guess is a new smaller concept from Best Buy will come to FIGat7th focusing more on tablets and smartphones than flat-screen TVs. We shall find out soon enough.

A large “hi downtown” greets City Target customers and gives this store a more unique identity from its suburban counterparts

A grocery section in the store

Drinks and other frozen food items

Yogurt, veggies, meats, and other packaged food items

Can you spot the “Target” sign?

An electronics section selling the new iPad, flat-screen TVs, cameras, audio, video games, and cell phones

The men’s clothing section

The women’s section

City Target pharmacy

A Halloween section to get us all into the spirit

Halloween decorations for your downtown loft or apartment

Greeting cards and other office supplies

A “city love” section that focuses on Los Angeles :)

Cool vintage-inspired and modern Los Angeles postcards in the “city love” section

City Target is part of the newly remodeled ($40 million) FIGat7th in Downtown LA Financial District

1. brudy says

As somebody who really values independent businesses, it’s hard to believe that I would be so excited about Target showing up. But I am. In fact, I’m heading over there later today to get some housewares stuff and check it out.

2. Wow, looks pretty large and comprehensive – not missing much with the loss of the square footage from a normal sized Target. That last night shot of the exterior looks amazing btw. Re: the best buy – I’m not liking that idea. I don’t really see a future in that. What about a store like a men’s warehouse or any other store that caters to office work attire, given the area.

3. Jerell says

Best Buy Mobile i think its called… they have one of those in the Plaza Bonita Mall in San Diego… cool place and i think will be a great addition to Downtown Los Angeles =]… BTW? IT LOOKS SO PRETTY AT NIGHT!!!….I’m really digging the new look

4. brudy says

I took a walk over yesterday and it’s a nice store. Heavy on groceries, low on furniture, seems about the same amount of clothes compared to a full-size target. There were lots of people shopping there. The structure is nice enough (I don’t think it will win any awards) and it will be great when the food places are open. But what struck me most is that downtown just got bigger for me. I live near Pershing Sq, and I usually don’t walk further west than Flower. But now there’s a reason to go the extra few blocks. And it felt so normal, like any city really, without the particular problems of downtown LA. Vibrant, clean, diverse. It felt a little like a different world over there compared to the historic core.

• Jennifer Lawson Zepeda says

Don’t try to ride a bike and park it there. This Target isn’t exactly BIKE FRIENDLY…which is sad, since it hails itself as an urban store in DTLA, where bikes are the norm.

5. Very nice addition to DTLA, but probably could use the Starbucks space inside Target for more products. Can’t wait until the whole mall is open!

6. Katie says

It’s great there’s a Target downtown but this has some serious flaws. The parking is truly awful, it takes forever to get from the garage to the store and the automated machines they use are really old and cheap, so they are slow and don’t always work right. Plus, the parking isn’t free, which is nuts, it’s free at Ralphs.

Target has a lot of nice stuff but the store is cluttered, probably since it’s relatively small. Also, the prices are pretty high for a Target, they are closer to Ralph’s prices than a regular Target would be.

I think the Fig/7th area will be really nice when the restaurants are open, but if you can somehow snag a street stop on Fig it’ll make your experience a lot more pleasant.

Also, they need more express checkout lines.

For better or worse, the majority of people shopping at the Target were from Westlake or USC area.

7. Jennifer Lawson Zepeda says

Welcome to Target My Ass!

New Isn’t Always Better

If you have the opportunity to visit the new City Target on 7th and Figueroa, DON’T!

It hails itself as the local downtown Target catering to the urban sect living downtown.

But downtown L.A. is, for the most part, a biking community. We park our cars and ride around the downtown Los Angeles on bicycles and save gas for trips out of L.A.

And this Target is EXTREMELY BICYCLE UNFRIENDLY.

Security Boys

From the moment you arrive and try to lock your bike up, you are accosted by the youthful security forces surrounding the store. They are wearing their best slacks and ties and no identifiers or store security badges.

They tell you to walk a block away and park your bike on the back forty lot. Okay…well…there are about five or so bike racks in the front, about midway down the block and safely away from the vision of anyone going into the store; but they are all taken.

And the attitude is sort of a:

‘Screw you if you ride a bike!’

type of non- community thing that sort of sets the tone for the rest of the shopping experience at City Target.

Honestly, this location had so much security, I was waiting for the armed military to bust out with AK47s or water hoses and shoot the crowds.

And none of the security we saw looked as if they could stop any tough guys if they decided to lash out on Target customers. They looked like barely out of high school kids, dressed up for church.

I was waiting for them to whip out a bible and save me from my capitalistic need to shop.

Product Lines

Then, once you enter, it is questionable if they will have what you are looking for.

City Target claims it has a ‘smaller footprint,’ which of course is urban mumbo jumbo that means its a smaller store than other suburban Targets. But, this location seemed to have the footprint of a smurf.

I couldn’t find two items very common in urban and suburban Target stores, elsewhere:

Christmas lights
    perfume.

It had neither one in the middle of October, when every other Target is normally ramping up for the holiday season.

What it did have was a “seasonal section” with a few Halloween lights and too many children’s costumes crowded with desperate Latin mothers trying to buy any cheap costume for their kids instead of using their imagination and sewing machine to create something decent.

It had no perfume section at all; not even in the beauty and makeup area. Apparently the designers of urban living feel downtown women forgo such experiences; and simply revel in the smell of diesel and exhaust.

It also had was a long line that was controlled by Target employees who guided you to the cash register that they felt was appropriate for you. This wasn’t necessarily the cashier with the least items to be rung up.

What it did not have was a cash register for those with “less than fifteen items, or even less than five items.”

What it did have were youthful cashiers who took their time ringing up the merchandise.

What it didn’t have were any cashiers with enough experience and panache to make you want to return.

I’m sure there were people over 50 that might have been seeking work. It was apparent that this Target wasn’t trying to hire any of them. It reminded me of the other corporate ageism that exists today.

The experience was not a pleasant one, from the filthy homeless wench with no rear end that screamed at us on the way in, telling my fiancee to “kiss hers,” after he asked her not to push her cart onto his heels, repeatedly.

To the crowds of entire families stopped in the middle of aisles and blocking them.

This Target should have its name changed to Skid Row Target.

My next visit to Target will be in Glendale, a MUCH better experience, even though I live downtown! And Human Resources for Target…Why don’t you try trend setting and hire some senior citizens too, for a change?

8. Desmo25 says

Yikes! to Katie’s comment of “for better or worse” and Jennifer’s “Skid Row.”

A commentator on another website suggests the store’s formal grand opening is attracting lots of lower-income people from west of downtown. Or I guess he’s implying it’s luring in the type of people who have for decades patronized the junketerias of Broadway, several blocks to the east.

Unlike the traditional, typical great cities of the world, there has always been plenty of poorer folks in central Los Angeles, so many in years gone by that they swamped — and in some cases, frightened off — any well-heeled daytime executives, employees and tourists.

Even with the addition of some new moneyed residents, I expect the area still lacks the impressive diversity (in terms of people’s economic background, and not their ethnicity or race) of certain cities back east, up north, or in Europe.

If LA can’t move beyond the segregated nature of its past, when people were fleeing to the suburbs, to areas towards the coast, it will never become a truly fine environment.

9. downtown resident says

looks like Jennifer Lawson Zepeda didnt get that job at target and is taking it out on them by writing stupid posts like the one above. I visited the new Target and thought it was great.

IF YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO VISIT THE NEW TARGET, DO IT!

10. Robert90033 says

Desmo, The area you describe as being “west of downtown”, is in fact the westside of the City. I grant you that it is not the far westside that most people are use to. But it is the westside nevertheless. Call it the Historic westside or the Near westside but it is part of the western side of the City. Me? I’m from the real eastside of the City, Boyle Heights.

• Eric843 says

The westside is West of LaBrea, and in many minds, west of Beverly Hills. West of downtown is by no means the Westside in any reasonable mind.

11. Alex X says

Mind you I’m glad it’s here, but I’m fascinated by the triumph of marketing and branding that is Target. They follow basically the exact business model of Wal-Mart, that is, cheap crap mostly made for slave wages in China, volume pricing power to eliminate small competition, low wages, etc (actually Target did it first, Wal-Mart copied them) and if this was a Wal-Mart “hip urbanites” would be up in arms, but because they have been specifically and brilliantly targeted (no pun intended) they love Target. Not a judgement in any way, just makes you realize the mind control of branding.

• brudy says

While I agree that marketing is powerful, Target does not necessarily equal Wal-Mart. It’s more like they are flip sides of the same coin. Target is the liberal version of wal-mart. Example – Wal-mart sells guns and ammo, all kinds of religious stuff, and their corporate record is very conservative. Target isn’t a bastion of progressiveness, but it’s not Wal-mart. Their marketing and product design and selection is a reflection of that.

• GlennH says

The Target we see today does have a similiar business model to Wal-Mart, but you have to dig a little deeper and look at the corporate history & legacy in order to see how their reputations differ. The differences are not simply in the merchandise they sell or marketing.

Wal-Mart’s initial strategy was to build large “everything under one roof” stores in rural areas outside small towns where the land was cheap. With an investment of a 30min-1 hr drive, folks could find everything they needed at a much cheaper prices than the ma & pa retailer. As it turned out, rural America was a market largely overlooked by Kmart, Target, et al. and Wal-Mart mopped up. The problem with this model is that it decimated the “downtown small towns” and local family-run establishments across the country and helped encourage sprawl.

This sullied Wal-Mart’s reputation even before they started expanding into suburban & urban areas. This has dogged them the over the years and “Wal-Mart is coming to town” is still perceived negatively by vast swaths of the public.

Target, on the other hand was the child of two beloved “grand dame” midwest dep’t stores perceived as city treasures—born as the discount arm of Dayton’s (Minneapolis) and JL Hudson (Detroit). The vast majority of their outlets were established in suburban areas as direct competition to existing Kmart, Sears, etc. rather than viewed as “an assault on family-run retailers.” Most consumers perceived this as a much less predatory, respectable approach to healthy competition.

Like Dayton’s & Hudson’s, Target has also attempted to be “good citizens” by integrating itself into the community and committing a substantial % of profits to local education & charity. I believe Wal-Mart also does this now, but it was largely due to public pressure, rather than a core corporate philosophy.

12. Yeah I’m kind of confused by all the negative reviews of city Target. I live in downtown and have been three times already, never a bad experience. It’s nice for a Target. Workers are still perky and friendly in their new jobs. I acknowledge the parking isn’t great but you can’t compare downtown to huge sprawling parking lot in suburbantown. I haven’t noticed any bothersome customers, just people you’d expect to see at a Target in downtown– some yuppies, some hipsters, some working class, some people from neighboring parts, some students. Not a big deal. I love this Target and what it has added to downtown. People need to not freak out that it’s not a Whole Foods in Irvine.

• Eric432 says

You can compare downtown to downtown, and when Ralphs has very free and convenient parking, it’s a fair comparison to make. Macys has free and semi-convenient parking, but Target’s parking is neither free nor convenient.

• brudy says

I guess for some that will be an issue, but a lot of us will just walk.

13. Robert90033 says

Oh but the westside does indeed begin west of Downtown Los Angeles Eric. It’s only the recent transplants who have stubbornly refuse to accept that fact. Still don’t believe me? Look at all the street signs. all indicate west not east. MacArthur Park was originally called “WEst Lake” park. Why do you suppose? I’ll tell you why, it’s because it was on the westside of town. I could go on, but I sense yopu won’t be convinced. The so called reasonable minds have set out to rearrange the boundaries and regions of my City and because they have the power of the media behind them, they have succeeded to a certain extent. But as long as I live I will always correct people who seek to deny the true regions of the City of Los Angeles.

• Orville says

Yes, Westlake Park was on the westside when it was built…in the 1880s. It’s amazing how much Los Angeles exists that didn’t 130 years ago, when the population was less than 50K.

14. Robert90033 says

It’s still on the westside of the City Orville. It’s just that many people, especially newcomers to my City tend to associate that term “westside” with only the more affluent, modern western section of the City. In addtion you got the media always pushing that erroneous notion.