downtown los angeles, financial district
comments 12

Downtown LA’s New H&M and Zara Stores Already Becoming Top Performers in Sales

As word gets out, Zara and H&M in Downtown LA have been increasing steadily in sales, boosting the stores to top performing locations within their respective chains

Can you believe it’s only been less than two years since City Target first opened in Downtown LA back in late 2012? Before that, the idea of having any major retailer downtown was still considered a pipe dream. Sure it was “just another” Target, but to downtown residents, it meant a lot more to us. It meant we could finally buy an iPad or a vacuum cleaner without having to leave downtown for simple basic stuff. And who could’ve imagined that a year later, retailers that would usually only open on the Westside (like on Robertson, Melrose, or Beverly) were actually opening stores downtown (i.e., Acne Studios, Aesop, OAK NYC, etc.) creating the beginnings of a bona fide new shopping district. Thank goodness the retail momentum continues to grow stronger. In fact, two of the most recent exciting additions to Downtown LA—H&M and Zara, both the largest flagship stores in SoCal, which opened 3 months and 2 months ago respectively—are already doing better than anyone could’ve expected.

According to store associates I spoke to at each store (H&M and Zara), both stores are already top performers in sales within their respective chains, both locally and nationally.

Zara’s Downtown LA sales figures are already a solid #3 in the LA/OC market with only The Grove (#2) and South Coast Plaza (#1) ahead during the last monthly update. In fact, our Zara is apparently in the coveted top 10 in the United States coming in close to San Francisco’s Union Square location. The top four are New York Fifth Avenue, New York Soho, Miami, and Chicago’s Michigan Avenue for reference. This is only two months after opening. Imagine when more people come downtown to shop when more stores open. That equals higher sales figures.

And what about H&M with its massive 32,000 square foot flagship store? Speaking to several store associates over a period of a week, I learned that H&M’s Downtown LA location is also doing “very well.” In fact, within the Los Angeles market, our H&M’s weekly sales figure (from the last two weeks) was also in the top performers category behind only a few locations like the Beverly Center and Glendale’s Americana. Again, H&M has only been open here for three months and it’s already a top performing store. Imagine when the Wilshire Grand Tower and The Bloc are completed in a few years nearby adding some incredible shopping synergy to the immediate area, drawing more people, and boosting even higher sales figures.

And how do higher sales figures affect the future of Downtown LA? Simple. Other retailers are watching, and within the industry, people definitely talk. If huge retailers like Zara and H&M are doing very well in Downtown LA, you can expect even more retailers to join in. And that’s the way this whole “magic” of revitalization happens: the pioneers do well, pave the way, and others follow. Then the critical mass hits and synergy takes hold and then you have yourself a completely revitalized urban city center. Presto!

In the next few years, expect to see a whole slew of new retailers open downtown that will finally bring shoppers back to the city instead of being relegated to suburban shopping malls or fake “main streets” that have been an embarrassment to Los Angeles for far too long.

Two brand new flagship stores, H&M and Zara, have already become top performing stores within their respective chains showing the more-than-viable retail market in Downtown LA

1. Dion says

Fantastic. The more the merrier. Hoping to hear some news about retailers on Broadway soon. We’ve kind of hit a lull

2. Wynn says

Curious about Broadway as well. Every time I walk by Urban Outfitters, it’s nearly empty. Wondering about Tanner, Acne and Oak also.

3. Clark says

Urban Outfitters, Tanner, Acne & Oak need an Apple Store to open on Broadway to help drive people through. They also need a cleaner Broadway without people sleeping on the sidewalk and trash in the gutter. H&M & Zara are much more desirable to shop at in a clean environment with a lower price point than a $200 belt at Tanner. Unfortunately, once you’ve arrived at 9th/Broadway (unless you’re used to downtown) you’re afraid to walk more than a block away from there. You’ve done a lot Huizar – for the infrastructure – now we need to actually CLEAN UP Broadway.

• Jake says

Saying that people are “afraid” to walk a block away from 9th and Broadway is being melodramatic. “Less inclined” might be a better way of stating it. However, I don’t think anyone that visits DTLA has the misconception that the entire area has been gentrified. Guests at The Ace need not look any farther than next door or across the street to see that they are in an area that is still “evolving.”

4. wildstar says

I’ve heard that Acne is doing pretty well.

What’s up with APC? Looks like nothing is going at that location where they’re supposed to go…

5. I grab bites & drinks at LABC & Ace at least once a week. It’s pretty slow going at Tanner & Urban. The few occasions I have wandered in to check out merchandise, notice the check and not shop verb usage, both stores were relatively empty. At Tanner, I was the only patron for a good 20 minutes.

You want to see these guys succeed but given the performance of H&M & Zara, it’s pretty evident that DTLA retail can only support lower price points at the moment.

Yes the broadway trade center building directly across from Urban is pretty shady at times, but like the other user said, “afraid” is a big word.

6. shoegirl says

I am a customer of both Zara and Acne. I am more inclined to go to 7th & fig because its a shopping experience. You can go shop at Zara, then go to the MAC store, and grab a Sprinkles cupcake and a starbucks all in a few hours. When I go to the Acne shop, I am going there only, and for that reason, I may prefer to shop for what I want online, and then head over there to pick up. Broadway, needs more time to grow. I am not motivated to walk over to 9th and Broadway because I am not going to get a shopping experience. I am not impressed by Tanner Goods, and Il caffe, or Urban. I may go to Oak NYC and although the Ace Hotel is beautiful, its a tourist trap with tons of bridge and tunnel. I’m looking forward to APC coming down, and I believe in time Broadway will be a great shopping street.. An apple store would be AMAZING!!

• wildstar says

Well, since Tanner is men’s shop, I’m not sure why you’d be impressed. I love that place and their stuff. I think people have unrealistic expectations of smaller, very specific high end boutiques – they’re never going to be mobbed. It’s not necessarily about volume.

And FWIW, if you live downtown it’s not about a whole day exactly. It’s about just walking a few blocks to places. I could stop for cupcakes at two or three or different places between my apartment and Tanner/Acne if I wanted. While Broadway has a ways to go, I’d rather shop at any of those places down there than go to the hole in the ground mall.

For those that care Nudie is opening their showroom on 8th as a storefront in October, so that will bring more shopping options down that way as well.

7. JJJJJ says

“If huge retailers like Zara and H&M are doing very well in Downtown LA, you can expect even more retailers to join in”

Stuff like this shows how broken the retail industry is. People think these massive chains know what theyre doing, because after all, thats how they became massive chains – but it’s not true at all. The ways they look at the data to decide where to open a new store is broken.

Youre right, they will look at this success and say “yes, we should be there too”. The problem is, they should have seen that 5 years ago without needing another chain to do the work for them.

8. Thomjamesltd says

I live above both Tanner and Aesop and see quite a few people in there on weekends. And regularly.

As far as the chain following chain comment, that happens with indie retail as well. There are always the trailblazers and when others see that success, then others follow and the area mushrooms.

SkinGraft is making a large commitment at the corner of 8th and Spring, and slowly but surely others are following.

On another note, Apple has allegedly signed a lease at the BLOC, so it seems like little hope for Broadway.