arts district, downtown los angeles

Indie Grow Market Opens in Downtown LA Arts District

Grow Market, originally from Manhattan Beach, has opened their second location here in Downtown LA's Arts District

From once predominately industrial warehouses to its current trajectory as a maturing residential enclave, the fascinating evolution of the Arts District in Downtown LA continues to amaze and excite me. This past weekend, local indie Grow Market soft opened for business inside the massive One Santa Fe mixed-use project adjacent to the popular vegan eatery Cafe Gratitude. The new grocer is only the second location to open for the Manhattan Beach market and signals the increasingly strong demand for more amenities catering to the growing population in the Arts District.

While visiting the new store this past Saturday, the first thing that came to my mind was how much the store felt like a mini Whole Foods (with high prices to match). At approximately 5,300 square feet, the market is stocked with high quality items including mostly, if not all, organic produce, meats, nuts, frozen foods, freshly prepared deli food options, as well as a decent selection of wine and beer. In addition, you’ll find a variety of other items you’d expect at a market like spices, canned foods, and detergent. There were still a few empty shelves where a sign asked customers to provide feedback about what they wanted to see in their new Grow Market.

My opinion?

For me, although I definitely appreciate the concept of locally sourced food items, I also know that many people, including myself, would like to see more lower priced items as well. Organic bananas at $1.49/lb while some of the organic apples at $3.99/lb are just a little too high priced in my book. Again, I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade and I think it’s fantastic that another market has opened here in Downtown LA to serve the residents. However, I think it’s unfortunate that customers are not given an option for lower priced items. In a nation stifled by debt and increasing overhead costs, I think it’s ever more important for consumers to have access to more affordable options. Even Whole Foods, which is often referred to as “Whole Paycheck,” is beginning to experiment with a lower priced concept called 365 opening in Silver Lake next year. In the end, I think the best case scenario is to have both high and low options available giving people the freedom of balance and choice.

Grow Market in Downtown LA is open Mon thru Sat from 8 am to 10 pm and Sunday from 9 am to 8 pm.

The new 5,300 square foot Grow Market in the Arts District opened this past Saturday

Grow Market deli section

Grow Market deli section

Meats

Fresh selection of meats including tri tip and grass-fed ground chuck

And fresh fish

Beer and wine section

The Grow mantra

The Grow mantra

Love the bike racks in front of the store

Love the bike racks in front of the store

1. aardvark says

To be fair, Ralphs often has organic apples that are $3.99/lb too. If their thing is only organic, you’re probably not going to get too much cheaper than that.

2. AD Resident says

I live at One Santa Fe and am BEYOND excited that GROW is now open! I’ve been waiting eagerly ever since I moved in earlier this year. I see Grow as a complementary grocery store to more mainstream stores like Ralphs or Vons. If you want really great prices on produce, the best place to buy that is at that Asian market Little Tokyo Marketplace down the street. They have amazing ridiculous prices! Grow is super high quality though so prices will reflect that obviously. However, I do see what Brigham is saying about the higher prices (I even had a little sticker shock!), so maybe they can introduce non-organic options? like other markets for cheaper prices?? Anyway, I am one happy camper now! Welcome to the neighborhood GROW! We love you!

3. RajunCajun says

Ralphs on 9th/Hope has those Honeycrisp apples for $3.99/lb as well except they’re not labeled organic. Honeycrisp apples are sweet and juicy though. I go for the next best tasting apple at Ralph’s, Pink Lady, for $1.99/lb. BTW, how can a fruit/vegetable not be organic?

• Holder says

Organic means grown without pesicides, in a natural, seasonal way. its more expensive because crop yields are usually lower.. Look up the dirty dozen, it’s a list of fruits and veggies that are the worst for containing chemicals so should be bought as organic as much as possible.

4. Paisley says

Organic apples can be found for just $1.99 a pound at the Smart & Final on Figueroa between 8th and 9th Streets. The organic ones are tucked away in a small area above the celery and broccoli, NOT on the giant apple display in the middle of the store. I felt like I had discovered a secret when I finally saw them. S & F has the lowest price on organic celery, as well. And Straus Creamery organic ice cream for $3.99 !!!

5. corner soul says

It’s nice to see more small-to-mid-sized neighborhood markets open around LA. It’s probably hard to compete on price with chain grocers, due to scale. And rents at this building (or any new building in LA for that matter) can’t be cheap when the zoning requires such a glut of parking.

6. carter says

Those same organic bananas can be found for 99 cents a pound @ Gelson’s, a store not necessarily known for low prices.

7. I think the store is trying to fill Fresh & Easy’s shoes…but they were cheap and still didn’t survive. Ironically, Fresh & Easy probably would have done really well at One Santa Fe. In the area, Urban Radish sets the bar for quality and store vibe. I used to go there all the way from Bell Garden before moving here. Surprising to see another similarly priced market open up that doesn’t obviously stack up to them. Buzz is that Urban Radish beats the new kid on the block on price by a lot. Will check out their organic apples next time!

8. It’s always great to see a new grocery store open up downtown but those prices are absolutely insane! There is no way in any way shape or form anyone could possibly see those prices as other then highly exorbinet and unseasonable no matter how organic or grass fed the items are this can not be justified. In many stores through out LA apples are 89 cents a pound 33 cents a pound for bananas , take Super King just for an example. So I can understand being organic you would double the price 1.89 at the most maybe 1 dollar a pound for bananas but to triple or quadrouble a price just because it’s organic? That is none other then price gauging and exploitive and just plain wrong! We are talking about apples and bananas here not some hard to find exotic fruit . My god!

9. Carlos says

If you don’t like the prices, shop elsewhere. Money talks. This isn’ the ONLY market in downtown LA. Just give them props for opening up in an underserved area. Give people options. Bravo.

10. Jared says

Was in this weekend and the prices are lower than what you mentioned here. Either they got the message or… it was their opening weekend and things were a little rough. Picked up a great sandwich, 3 bottles of wine on their 10% off three bottles or more deal, and a bunch of great fruit. ICYMI, prices aren’t static. The quality at Grow Market seems to be.

11. dklakeys says

I’m really happy for this place and Urban Raddish. I live in City Terrace, a hop-skip-jump over the river, and we don’t have a grocery store so I’ll be using these two joints. The Food 4 Less doesn’t count in Boyle Heights.